Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Chapter 299 Too Much BS


Victor stared at Ronnie in a stunned silence, his heart sinking. He certainly did not expect this. He had simply asked Ronnie to explain why he didn't think higher education was for him. A simple four year stint in any university of his choosing for the purpose of becoming a productive member of society—was that too much to ask for? 

Apparently! In fact, Ronnie thought going to college was —to use his phase-- too much BS to deal with. Not what the average parent wants to hear, mind you.

Though Ronnie tried to keep it dispassionate, his explanation quickly became a rant of epic proportions. Who knew he had it in him? Surely not his father from whom he had kept all these thoughts and feelings.

I mean...geeze, Dad, it's bad enough that you're not supposed to say anything that isn't politically correct, but now they're trying to punish people for being something they can't help being,” Ronnie said, shaking his head.

Excuse me?” Victor said.


I never said anything when I was in high school...ever...and I could have! Believe me,” Ronnie continued, not having heard his father. “I always went along to get along. I figured I could keep my opinions to myself until... dunno... like when those morons finally grew up or they got a brain. Nobody had to know that I knew they were completely wrong and total idiots, but... seriously, I'm not okay with anything anymore.”

Like what?” Victor asked, perplexed.

Like, if you're white and you don't feel guilty about it, that's a micro-aggression which means you're racist and so you have to be punished for that.”

A micro... what?”

Yeah, I know...whatever the hell that is!” Ronnie said angrily, standing up and pacing in front of the desk. “According to them I'm fricken racist, don't you know that?”

Marcus and his kids would be astonished to hear that,” Victor said.

And don't get me started on safe spaces,” Ronnie said, closing his eyes as if in severe pain.

"Safe... what?” Victor said.

In essence, college kids now want segregation,” Ronnie said, sounding disgusted.

I'm sorry...what did you say?”

Black from white, Asian from Hispanic, Muslims from...well, everybody! Whiny little crybabies need to be protected from... from everything, from reality, from anybody that's not willing to think like them and keep quiet and say what's PC and NOT speak uncomfortable truths. You don't know what it's like now, Dad, but it's sure nothing like when you went to school. You told me I could speak my mind, be whoever I wanna be in college, right? To prepare you for the real world. Isn't that what being an adult is supposed to be? Finding yourself when the whole world is laid out in front of you so you can choose your own path. Well guess what...ain't like that anymore,” Ronnie went on unheeded, getting louder with each sentence. “What a fricken joke! You say anything offensive -- and EVERYTHING now is offensive!-- and you are worse than Hitler. Well, that's bullshit! This is still America...home of the free, land of the brave ...”

That's land of the free, home of the brave,” Victor muttered under his breath.

When you're not quiet and you're not going along with the crowd, that's when they gang up on you, bully you until you cave or you get eaten by wolves. Well, nobody's gonna eat me... not now, not ever. They're trying to put a muzzle on the last bastion of freedom and I'm not willing to keep quiet anymore. I'm no sheep. ”

Victor blinked several times. “Are you saying... are you going into the military or becoming an anarchist?”

A...a what?” Ronnie said, stopping in his tracks, looking at his father.

Ronnie, are you thinking of going into politics?” Victor said, his head spinning.

Ronnie looked as if his father had just sprouted antlers from the sides of his head. “Whaddaya nuts??? No, Dad! Last thing I want is ...I just don't want to have my brains sucked dry by this new age gestapo. I just don't wanna go to college to let them do it!”

Victor stared at him for a long moment. “I wish I had recorded this,” he said at last.

Huh? What for?” Ronnie said.

Because I would love to see the look on your mother's face when I played it back for her. Of course, she'd blame me for this,” Victor muttered. “Anyway, I don't suppose you'd ever tell her any of this?”

Ronnie suddenly looked like a frightened ten years old. “And get my ass kicked all the way into next year...no thanks,” he mumbled.

Victor started laughing and it took a while for him to stop.

Ronnie was none too happy about this reaction. “So, you think this is a joke? I tell you the truth, what I'm thinking, how I feel about college and why I'm sure it's not for me and you laugh at me?”

No, Ronnie, I'm not laughing at you,” Victor said, sobering quickly. “I'm...I'm...”

Disappointed,” Ronnie said, dejected.

No... impressed actually,” Victor said. “At least with your argument. But have you given any thought to what you will do if you don't go to school?”

Yeah, I wanna work,” he said.

Victor stared at him, waiting for more. “Doing what?” he asked, at last.

Anything. I like bar tending. I'm getting good at it. I'm good with people it seems and I could be good at anything if I try hard enough and I'm willing to try anything,” Ronnie said.

Ronnie, bar tending can NOT be a life's ambition,” Victor said, horrified.

It's not. I never said it was, but it's a... a start. I know it'll take a few jobs before I find something great, something I really want to do. Dad, I have an amazing job interview in the city next month...after the holidays. I don't wanna say what for cuz I don't wanna jinx it. It's...different, but it could be good... at least for a while...I think. Thing is, I just wanna try different things,” Ronnie said. “Eventually I'll find something I really love to do, that I'm really great at and...and then... we'll see. I just don't think everybody's meant to go to school. I want to work not get my brains sucked dry by PC zombies. School is for the Simons of the world anyway, and you know I'm nothing like Simon...few of us are. Working is for the rest of us.”

Victor smiled. “Is that what you're going to tell your mother?”

Geeze, Dad, you really know how to bring a guy down,” Ronnie grumbled. “Don't suppose you can talk to her about it for me.”

Sure...” Victor said, standing up, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder for a quick squeeze. “After you do. Good luck with that, Ronnie. I'll be praying for you.”

Ronnie watching his father leave the den and slumped down on the chair. “Why can't anything be easy?” he said.

* * * * * * *

Just as Violet unlocked her car door and sat behind the wheel, the phone rang. She swiftly closed the door on the blistering cold wind, inserted the key in the ignition, and started the car, simultaneously blasting the heat and switching on the bluetooth.

Hello,” she said, shivering as she pushed the button for the seat warmer.

Ah,Lassie, so good t'is to find you alive and well,” the Scottish accented voice said.

Um...Marty?” Violet said, looking at the display on the dashboard to confirm this was -- supposedly-- Marty, although why she was talking this way was anyone's guess.

Ah, yes, t'is I, me darlin' lass,” Scottish Marty said.

Uh...Well, hello there...um...any reason why you're all uh...Robert Burning me?” Violet asked.

Laughter could be heard over the line. “Ah, yes, Darlin' Violet. Nothing gets by you. T'is too true. Don't you know, that old codger Morris and I have a bit of a wager and...”

Don't tell me,” Violet said, strapping on the seat belt, flicking on the wipers to shake off the little bit on snow which blew onto the windshield, and pulling out of the parking spot. “He bet you ten bucks that you couldn't go an entire day speaking with a Scottish accent.”

No flies on you, me darlin' lass!” Marty said.

Violet laughed. “You two sure know how to have fun.”

There be only to try,” Mary replied.

I suppose so....So, how can I help you?” Violet asked.

Aye, I hope you can! Don't you know, t'is Christmas in a wee bit of time, Violet dear,” Marty said.

I am aware,” Violet replied. “I'm rushing home to finish up some last minute Christmas gifts and...”

That be true, no doubt but don't you know, we need you to help prepare Victor's house for the grand celebration. The poor lad can do nothing without a woman's touch, you see, so it's up to us, you and me. Will you be coming, my love?”

I... do you mean tonight?” Violet said.

To be sure!” Marty said. “There is the wee bairn too. They be needing a motherly hand to guide them through their present troubles and nothing will do that better than a good tree trimming, some Christmas carols sung and a lovely cuppa hot cocoa with me and you.”

Present troubles?” Violet said, alarmed. “Did... did something happen?”

Well, it's best you come and see for yourself,” Marty said, mysteriously.

Oh, my goodness,” Violet said, all manner of bad news popping into her head. “I'll be there in about twenty minutes.”

Ah, I knew we could count on you... dear, sweet lass that you are,” Marty said. “See you in a wee bit, Violet dear.”

Marty had barely hung up when another call came through, this time from Ronnie.

Hello, Ronnie, funny you should be calling me,” Violet said, curiously. "What's up?"

Um...it's not Ronnie,” the quiet voice said.

Georgiana?”

Yes, I...uh...borrowed Ronnie's cell phone,” she said nervously. “Is it a bad time to talk?”

No, not at all. I just got off work and...”

Daddy doesn't know I'm calling so...uh...Could you come over today, Violet, please?” 
Georgiana pleaded. “I really wanna talk to you again...like we did last night...if it's okay.”

Oh, yes, I'm already on my way there,” Violet said.

Really? Did Daddy call you already?”

No, Marty did,” Violet said, just as another call was coming in, this time from Victor. “Why in the world does everyone call me at exactly the same time?”

Huh?” Georgiana said.

Sweetie, your dad's calling me now. I'll see you soon, okay?”

Please don't tell him I called!” she said.

I won't,” Violet said, but she was pretty sure Georgiana had already hung up. “Um...hello, Victor.”

Hello, Violet,” Victor's deep voice filled the car. “Am I catching you at a bad time?”

It was on the tip of her tongue to tell him it was never a bad time for him to call, but that was entirely too forward for her. “No, not really. I'm on my way over right now.”

Over...where?” he said.

To your house actually. Yes. Marty--or someone from Scotland pretending to be Marty-- just called me about helping decorate your house for the Christmas party. If that is okay with you of course.”

Victor didn't quite understand the Scotland thing, but asked no questions. “Thank you, Violet. I really could use your help right now-- not so much with the decorating, but I'll explain when you get here. It's been quite a day. I'll order pizza.”

Pizza? Victor never ordered pizza unless.... Now she knew it was serious.


©2016 Glory Lennon All Rights Reserved 

3 comments:

  1. All the denizens of the Garden Shed sat back, stunned by the latest chapter.

    Milly Quackenbush cleared her throat:

    Yes Milly? said Uncle Mac.

    "Victor expects a delivery", she said, "Let's give him one:...

    Uncle Mac studied her and gradually his grizzled old countenance brightened.

    "And?", he said

    "Let's give him one", said Milly

    The Shed exploded with applause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...good thing Ronnie will be picking up the pizza.

    ReplyDelete