Monday, January 28, 2013

Ch 148 Two Gorgeous men, a Bimbo and a Perpetual Virgin




Two gorgeous men, a bimbo and a perpetual virgin riding at break-neck speed on curvy, hilly back roads in a violescent Rolls Royce…sounds like the start of a bad joke, doesn’t it? Oddly enough, Violet found nothing humorous about the situation. 

It seemed the ride back to the Bed and breakfast would never end. She was tempted to pop the door open and toss herself out—effectively taking her out of her misery. She surely would do it if that insufferable woman clinging to Victor didn’t shut the hell up!

Violet had been in such a good mood upon leaving the castle. The tour of the place with Anders had brightened things considerably; a welcome shift after being annoyed the entire night, but leave it to his lady-love to ruin even that.

“Well, it’s just too bad it’s not summer,” Chenille cooed to Victor. She had insisted on sitting with him again in the back seat, but much to Violet’s satisfaction, this didn’t seem to appeal to Victor any longer. He had tried several times while walking about the castle to disentangle himself from Chenille’s clutches and go back to Violet, but she—Chenille that is-- wouldn’t allow it. She clung to Victor like white on rice.

“You know, I still have a rocking body in a bikini. Love to show you,” Chenille continued with a sultry little laugh. 

Violet could just imagine she was groping Victor as she said this. She wasn’t about to turn around to look, that was certain. It was all Violet could do, however, to keep her mouth shut, but she could only take so much before exploding.

“Oh? I figured you wouldn’t know what a bathing suit was let alone own one. Thought you’d be the skinny-dipping type,” Violet said, not even bothering to check the snarkiness in her voice. Surely it would go over the bimbo’s head anyway.

Anders laughed. “You know Chenille already!” he said with a laugh.

“Come to think of it, Victor,” Chenille said, pointing out of the window. “Isn’t that the road that leads to the water fall and the nice little pool where we did go skinny dipping?”

“There is no waterfall down that road and I'm pretty sure you're thinking of someone else,” Victor said, his tone flat and disinterested.

Violet Knows her flowers and these are Daylilies!
“Of course there is!” Chenille insisted. “Don’t you remember there were endless fields of orange tiger lilies growing by the stream that led to it?”

“Those were daylilies not tiger lilies,” Violet interjected.

“Wh…what?” Chenille said, completely thrown. “Did you live here? I don’t remember…”

“I don’t have to live here to know the flowers you speak of could not possibly be tiger lilies. Tiger lilies, botanically Lilium tigrinum, do not grow along streams nor do they grow in the wild in huge drifts. The common daylily, botanically known as Hemerocallis  fulva, do, however, grow just about anywhere, mostly in abandoned fields and stretches of untouched land, even along streams leading to skinny dipping watering holes.”

There was complete, stunned silence for about a minute, but Violet could almost feel Victor suppressing a chuckle.

“It is not your fault, Chenille, not knowing the difference,” Violet continued in an apologetic tone. “Many novices mistakenly call daylilies tiger lilies instead. Tiger lily is a common name for them because of the orange color. I understand that, but I still like to set the record straight. I’m rather annoying that way, giving things their proper name.”

“Violeta, you have hidden talents!” Anders said, decidedly impressed. “You are an encyclopedia!”

“No, I just know my flowers, is all,” she replied.

“You never did say. What is your profession?” he asked.

She had been about to say what she always did when asked this; Just a housewife and stay-at-home mom, but she suddenly realized, she was no longer just a housewife and stay-at-home mom. She wasn’t either of those at all anymore. She was nobody’s wife, and though she was still a mother, her kids no longer needed her at home. 

That thought gave her a painful pang, but her pride, and perhaps something else she wasn’t willing to identify, wouldn’t allow her to dwell on that right now.

“I’m a horticulturist at the Weston Botanical Garden in charge of the children’s gardens, both indoor in the conservatory and the outdoor one which is currently undergoing an extensive renovation which I am designing and implementing in the spring."

Holy moly! What in God’s name had possessed her to go on like that? She had a sneaking suspicion as she couldn't help adding more.

"We made a wonderful vegetable garden this year and all the food we produced was donated to local food banks. The kids were so proud of themselves,” she said recalling the fun she had with her little angels.

“Violeta, I had no idea! I dare say my mother and sisters would adore to meet you. They are both avid gardeners, you know, and my nieces and nephews would enjoy a romp in one of your beautiful gardens. Perhaps when spring comes around I might persuade them to come to America.”

“There are gardens enough, and far grander ones, in Europe to please them, I can imagine,” Violet said with a small laugh.

“Ah, but not with a curator who shows such passion for the growing things,” he remarked, with an affectionate tap on her knee.

“Violet has many talents, but she’s the last one to relate them to anyone,” Victor said.

“Violeta is a marvel,” Anders said.

“No, I’m not, really,” Violet replied, meekly. She could feel her cheeks redden and thanked heaven for the darkness.

“Who the bloody hell cares what the flowers are called? I was talking about my rocking body!” Chenille said, not at all liking being completely ignored.

 Just then Anders skidded to a halt outside of the Bed and Breakfast.

“Thank you, God,” Violet muttered.

“The night has sadly come to an end,” Anders said, opening the door for Violet. He  helped her out of the car, took both her hands and kissed each one twice, then kissed both cheeks. “It was such a pleasure meeting you, Violeta. I do hope we meet again before our time is up in this world.”

“We may,” Violet said, a bit flustered. Why she felt like a school girl on her first real date, she’d never know! “The castle is lovely.”

“Glad you liked it. Now, if we can get Chenille to release your Victor, we can go home,” he said loudly. He then leaned over and whispered in her ear, “Forgive him, Sweet Violeta. Men cannot resist Chenille…she won’t allow them to, you see.”

“Women cannot resist Victor either,” she assured him. “But I suppose you would know about that.”

Anders laughed and kissed her hands again, just as Chenille came to claim him. “Well, Violet, I do envy you.”

Violet stared in confusion. “Whatever for?” she asked.

“You get to do Victor tonight, of course,” she replied.

Violet blinked a few times, her hands itching to scratch Chenille’s eyes out. Then she felt Victor’s arm slink around her waist and that eased the temptation. “Yes, but you get Anders. Not a bad consolation prize, I imagine,” she remarked, giving Anders a glowing smile.

They stood in silence as they watched the car’s tail lights fade around the bend and disappear into the trees.

Victor sighed in relief. “We should go in,” he said. “It’s a bit cold out for you.”

“I don’t suppose it’ll get any warmer inside if tonight was any indication,” Violet said, her tone as frosty as the night.

“Don’t know about that. You seemed to eventually warm under Anders’ constant attention,” Victor retorted.

“Did I? Imagine that…someone with manners enough to actually care about my feelings and me responding to it. Who would have thought it?” she replied, turning away from him and staring up at the sky.

He bit back his retaliatory response and drew in the cold night air, letting it back out slowly.

“Pity you dragged me along. You could’ve had yourself a lovely threesome in the tiger lilies,” Violet snorted derisively.

“Well, you see, that’s the problem, Violet. I don’t do threesomes,” he said.

“I’m sure Chenille would fix that.” As soon as Violet said it, she regretted it. This wasn’t her style. She knew Victor had reason enough for his behavior. He was angry with hers; didn’t mean she needed to contribute to it and make things worse.
“Or Richard,” he retorted.

“I know you’re angry with me, Victor, and I’m sorry… sorry I’m not more like Chenille,” she said, with a sigh, turning back to him. “I just can’t be like that. I wasn’t raised that way and it’s too late for me to change…even if I wanted to.”

“I don’t want you to be like her!” he said.

“Yeah, you do, you’re just not willing to admit it.”

“No, I don’t. I just wish…”

“That I wasn’t such a prude. Same thing,” she said, turning back to look at the stars. “I did warn you, you know, so you can’t say I sold you a bill of goods. You should have known what you were getting.”

“I want you exactly as you are, Violet,” he said, placing his hands on her shoulders. “Except…for Richard.”

“What does this have to do with him?” she said, turning around to look into Victor’s face. “Have you not noticed I have deliberately not mentioned him for…several weeks now?”

He gaped at her. “Are you serious? Violet, say my name,” he demanded.

“What? Whatever for?” she said.

“Because you don’t seem to remember it at crucial times. Now, what’s my name, Violet?” he said, just barely keeping his temper in check.

“What in the world are you talking about?”

“Guess I’ll have to show you,” he said, roughly taking her into his arms. He then kissed her none-too-gently; all his frustration poured into a bruising, punishing meeting of lips and mouths, teeth and tongues. 

Breathing hard he withdrew and against her lips whispered, “Say my name.”

Stunned, Violet pushed him, but he held her fast. “I don’t…”

“Say it!”

“Victor, I don’t understa…”

He kissed her again, not as harshly as the first time, but still a drastic change from his usual way. “Say my name,” he said.

“Victor, why are you…”

He kissed her again, more gently. “Say my name,” he said.

“Victor. It’s Victor,” she whispered.

He kissed her again, this time softly coaxing a response from her and he got one. She clutched at his shirt, she melted against him and kissed him back. 

“I love you, Violet. You know I do,” he whispered, then kissed her again.

“I love you, too,” she said, “Oh, Richard…”

She felt him stiffen and pull away just like he had done before. She grabbed for him, searching his face. “What is it?” she said.

“Already forgot my name,” he sadly replied. 

“What do you mean?” she said before realizing what happened. She gasped and slapped her hand over her mouth.

“And that, my love, is the deal breaker,” he said, running frustrated fingers through his hair.

“Victor, it was an accident. I didn’t mean…” She stopped and thought back to the scene in the bedroom. Had she done it then, too? She must have. “Oh, Victor, I’m sorry.”

“So am I,” he said and he turned toward the house. “It’s late and it’s cold. Let’s go in.”

Too ashamed and miserable, Violet turned and walked down the gravel path toward the lake--and unknown to her—in the path of a mama bear and her cubs.

“Violet, are you coming?” Victor asked, his hand on the doorknob as he turned back. “Violet?”

She was swallowed by the dark, but he heard her retreating footsteps on the gravel and knew where she went. He let out a string of curses under his breath as he sprung from the porch. He saw the bears before they saw Violet, or heard her. As quietly as he could—lest he awaken the bears to their presence-- he rushed forward and clamped a hand over Violet’s mouth and another around her waist, hoisting her behind a large oak tree. 

Violet struggled against Victor until he whispered in her ear, “Don’t move and don’t make a sound. Just look.” Then he pointed to the lumbering beasts as they passed not ten feet in front of them, heading toward the lake shore where they paused for a quick drink before disappearing into the woods.

Violet started shaking uncontrollably. What would have happened had she stumbled into the bears’ path? Surely she would have been killed!

“Oh, Victor…oh, Victor,” she said holding on to him for dear life, her face buried in his chest. “Thank you.”

“Shhh, it’s okay,” he said, holding her tight. “Just don’t ever run off again. Never know what you’ll find out here in the dark.”

He kissed her and held her until her trembling subsided. “Let’s go,” he said, leading her back to the house. “You’ll be safe in bed.”

Would she indeed?




2 comments: