Monday, December 10, 2012

Ch141: Negative Ions and Positive Feelings




“Oh, Victor!” Violet gasped. “Oh, my goodness! Victor, it’s…it’s amazing…it’s wonderful…it’s…huge! Oh, Victor!”

“Yes, it's always like that the first time you see it. It is breathtaking,” he said, kissing her cheek. 

He stood behind her, his hands on her shoulders now slipping down to encircle her waist hugging her to him as she watched the eighth wonder of the world—Niagara falls-- its rushing water cascading with deadly force over the precipice and down, down, down to the rocks below.

“I never imagined it was so…oh, Victor,” she gushed.


He chuckled in her ear. “You make it sound like I created the Falls. I’m just the guy who brought you to see it, that’s all. I take it you like it?”

“Oh, Victor, I love it! I just love it!”

“I’m glad,” he said, giving her a little squeeze. “And jealous.”

“Jealous? Why?” she said, reluctantly tearing her eyes away from the raging river to look at his face.

“You love the falls, but not me,” he said, an ever-so- slightly hurt expression on his face which he couldn’t hide with his easy smile.

A giant fist seemed to painfully clench around her heart. “I never said I …uh…” She paused, bit her bottom lip and turned back to view the magnificent waterfall, her thoughts now as turbulent as the churning water below.

Why did Victor have to ruin everything by talking about love? 

“Ruin things, Dear?” Heidi asked. “Come now, you know he does no such thing.”

Violet sighed, knowing the tiny voice within was right. 

“When you’re not ready to hear it though, it’s a problem,” Richard countered.

Violet frowned. Was it a problem really? It was wonderful to know Victor felt that way about her. He always made her feel so cherished. She, however, had never spoken those precise words to him in return, and that must hurt him. It definitely hurt him. She saw it in his eyes. 

Did she love him, though… truly love him? She couldn’t say she did unless and until she knew for certain. She had known instantly with Richard, so why was it different this time?

“Perhaps because of Richard?” Heidi suggested.

Violet sighed, knowing that was precisely the reason.
They stood in silence watching this incredible force of nature and several minutes passed. The roar of the water filled their ears and the mist sprinkled water drops on their faces and hair. It was slightly chilling even with the mild weather, but within Victor's protective embrace, Violet felt none of it.

Sensing Violet’s discomfort and wishing to alleviate it, Victor chose a neutral topic to break the quiet between them. “Got a strange fact about Niagara falls for you. It seems there is an excessive amount of negative ions here. The falls produces it. Supposedly nowhere else on Earth do you find such a phenomenon. Did you know that?” Victor casually asked.

She gasped and turned again to stare up at him, this time anxious. “You mean it’s harmful to be here?” she shrieked.

“No, quite the reverse, although I can see why you would think it. The negative part sounds bad, after all, but oddly enough it’s not. In this case, negative ions produce feelings of euphoria and well-being. Funny, huh?”

“It is,” she replied. “So, it’s good for you to be here by the falls?”

“Apparently so. It’s great for tourism, too, I imagine. They can boast and brag that the sick can get better, that bad moods will turn good and that lovers fall more deeply in love. It’s all in this pamphlet,” he said, handing it to her. “The Mayor of Buffalo swears he’s never had a sick day and he’s lived here all his life, but he’s a politician so I don’t know how far we can trust him on that score.”

“As far as I can throw him, Violet muttered. If he’s like other Politician’s I’d like to toss him across the falls and well into Canada. Let them take care of him.” 

She heard the slow rumble and felt the slight shaking as Victor, his body still pressed to hers, started with a chuckle and ended laughing his head off. She laughed, too, and she turned to look up at him beaming.

“I guess maybe they’re right about the negative ions or we wouldn’t be this happy,” she said.

To her astonishment Victor’s expression grew serious and his hand reached up to caress her cheek. The way he gazed at her took her breath away.

“Victor?” she whispered, not quite knowing what was happening. “What is it?”

He kissed her tenderly and smiled. “Every day I’m with you is the happiest of my life, Violet, negative ions notwithstanding,” he said, just before capturing her pliant lips again, sending her senses reeling.

Perhaps those negative ions were working their magic. Or it may have been Violet’s discovery that Victor’s words applied to her as well. He had given her one happy moment after another—each better than the last. It had been this way from the start, ever since they met and there didn’t seem to be any end to it, nor did she want there to be, she suddenly realized. 

What did that mean?

Violet had an inkling, but she didn’t want to dwell on such thoughts, not here, not now, not when she  could almost feel those negative ions swirling around them, creeping inside and sending little fireworks bursting within. She clutched at Victor’s shirt when she thought he might pull away and end the exquisite kiss. She went on tiptoes and circled her arms around his neck and before she knew it she was airborne. Victor lifted her off her feet, never once stopping the kiss. 

This was pure Nirvana and who would want to leave that?

“More newlyweds,” said an amused man, his arm around his newly acquired wife as they passed the kissing couple.

“This is the place to find them,” the woman replied, giggling. She turned her face to her husband and got her own kiss.

 Slowly, ever so slowly, Victor and Violet parted, but still clung to each other. Perhaps they feared falling into the abyss or had they already done so, died in the process and ended in Heaven? Sure felt like it. 

Victor gently set her on her feet again, but refused to release her. Violet, not at all wishing to leave the safe enclosure of his arms, rested her head on his chest trying to steady her ragged breathing. She could feel his heart beating in time with her own, strong and over-quick. She realized with a bit of a jolt, she had felt this way only once before in her life… with Richard. 

Could it be? Was she truly in love again?

“Violet,” Victor whispered, pulling her closer. “You may not want to hear this—you already know, anyway, I’m sure, but I have to say it again and again and again until you believe it.”

She clutched at his shirt, breathing in his scent. “I.. I do believe it, but I don’t mind hearing it again,” she whispered.

His heart gave a little happy dance. “I love you with all my heart,” he said. 

She raised her face to his, her eyes glowing. “Victor, I should have told you before this, but I wasn't sure, really sure. I am now. I lo…”

Just then his cell phone sounded loudly in his pocket, breaking the spell. Violet jumped and pushed away from him.

He cursed under his breath. “Ignored it. What were you saying?”

“You should answer it,” she said, turning back to the waterfall.

“Violet, please, what were you going to say?”

“It can wait. Answer the phone. Could be important.”

“Not as important as this!”

She turned back to him, pulled his cell out of his pocket, put it to her ear and spoke into it, “Please hold for Victor.” She then shoved it into his hand. “I’m not going anywhere, Victor. I love you. Now answer the phone, you silly goose.”

Struck dumb, Victor merely stared at her. She laughed and put the phone to his ear. “Say something, Victor.”

“I love you. I'm crazy mad in love with you,” he said.

“How lovely, Victor dear. I love you, too,” the female voice spoke on the other end of the phone. 

“I'm sorry, what?” Victor said, not recognizing the voice at first.

“Hello? Can you hear me?”

“Aunt Lucy?” he said into the phone. 

“Yes, dear. How are you, Honey?”

“I’m great. How are you and Uncle Vladamir?”

“Quite well,” she replied. “I hope you don’t mind my calling you at work.”

“I’m not at work.”

“Oh? Was that not your secretary?”

He laughed. “No, she is not that.” 

“She seems nice.”

“Oh, she is nice…extremely," he said smiling at Violet. "Violet is the love of my life, actually, and I’d love to introduce her to you.”

“Violet? Oh, what a lovely name! Then this makes my great news even better.” 

“Great news?” he said, gazing expectantly at Violet.

“Yes, remember when you called a couple of months ago?”

“Of course. I knew it was a long shot. You’ve told me before you’re always booked solid half a year at a time.”

“Well, I just got a cancelation for this weekend and even though I have a waiting list the length of my arm, I bumped you to the top of it. My prerogative since I own the joint. We so wished to see you. It’s been too long.”

“Aunt Lucy, you just made my day!” Victor said, beaming. “We’ll be there in two hours.”

“Are you flying here?” Lucy’s stunned voice said.

“No, we’re already in Niagara falls so…”

“Oh, goodie! And you’re bringing your lady friend, Violet?”

“Yep, she’s with me. Can’t wait for you to meet her,” he said watching with amusement Violet’s hazel eyes widening in surprise and confusion.

“Ooh, me too! Well, I’ll let you go, Victor dear. So much to do! Have to make certain everything is perfect for you and your love.”

“Everything already is. See you soon.” He pocketed his phone and wrapped his arms around Violet, crushing her to him.

“Uh…what was that all about?” she squeaked, barely able to draw breath.

He loosened his grip and tilted her face up to his. “You’ll see.”

Violet had been about to ask a dozen more questions, but you can’t really manage to do that when you’re being kissed breathless.

Yes indeed, those negative ions truly cause positive feelings. She could tell!

2 comments: