Monday, August 13, 2012

Ch126 The Very Long Night


“Omigosh,” Violet muttered as she stood up in the tub and reached for a towel. She could find none. “Dammit.”

“What’s wrong?” Victor said, through the door. “Are you okay? Open up. Let me help you.”

“I don’t need your help, thank you,” she snapped.

“Well, you’re getting it anyway,” he said, turning the knob and opening the door.

At the sound of the door opening, Violet yelped and dropped back into the water with a great splash “Get out! I have no clothes on.”

“Violet, I can’t see my hand in front of my face. Needless to say I can’t see anything else. Now get up and let me help you out of here before you kill yourself.”

“I’ll do it on my own, now get out!”


“Violet, where the hell did you put the towels?” he said, fumbling about the room, his arms stretched out, finding nothing but empty racks and dead air. 

“I only took one. The others are on the rack, but I can’t reach them while you’re here. So, get out!”

“Stop being a juvenile,” he said, finding the tub and reaching in to get her out.

“Hey! Watch that hand, Mister!”

“If you would only cooperate I wouldn’t have to frisk you.” 

He ignored any further protesting and just yanked her out of the tub, splashing a considerable amount of bubbly, sweet scented water all over the floor and mostly all over himself. He carried her into the bedroom --slowly and carefully so as not to bang into walls or doors—and finally deposited her onto the bed. He grabbed up the corners of the bedspread and wrapped it around her.

“That will have to do for now,” he said. “Stay there and I’ll see what’s going on.”

“You’re gonna leave me?”

“Two seconds ago you told me to get away from you. I’ll be right back,” he said, feeling his way to the room’s door. He opened it and heard a get deal of commotion, but still no lights except from people poking their head out of their rooms whilst holding up their cell phones to ask what’s going on.

“Don’t they have a generator here?” one man asked.

“In a place like this? We’re lucky they have towels,” one guy grumbled.

“Is the place on fire? I'm sure we got hit by lightning. Should we leave?” a woman shouted.

“No, it was just a tree got hit across the way. We’re fine here. Just get in your rooms and shut the hell up! I’m trying to sleep!” a cranky man bellowed above them all, before slamming his door shut. Several others followed suit and Victor did the same.

Victor might have laughed if he could but see anything. Using the occasional flash of lightning, he found his way back to sit on the bed beside Violet who still huddled in her blanket.

“Well, nothing we can do for now. I guess there’ll be no TV. We’ll have to entertain ourselves it seems,” he said, pulling off his wet shirt and fumbling for his overnight bag.

“I have to put something on. Can you go get my bag?” Violet said.

“Where is it?” he said, still rummaging in his bag.

“On the counter in the bathroom,” she said.

“Where the hell’s my phone?”

“Who you want to call?”
“I was hoping to use it for the light, but I think I left it in the car. Oh, well,” he said, getting up and going to the bathroom.

Violet stood up and dried herself as well as she could, but bed spreads don’t make for good towels. She really kind of wished she was still at the Carlton.

“Violet, where did you say you put it?”

“Right next to the sink.”

“Not here. All I can feel is your pile of wet clothes on the floor.”

“Then bring me that.”

“Babe, you’re not wearing wet clothes to bed. I don’t know what you did with your bag, but it’s not here.”

“It has to be!” she shouted. “I can’t NOT wear anything.”

“Just crawl into bed and wrap the sheets around you, toga style. No one will know. You can’t tell me you’ve never slept in the nude.”

“That’s hardly any of your business!”

“Fine,” he said, losing his patience. He grabbed his bag again and pulled out what felt like a dress shirt. He then handed it to her. “You can wear that.”

“What is it?” she said, feeling it.

“One of my shirts. Should go down past your knees. Is that not modest enough for you?”

“Okay, but…look away.”

“What?!?” 

“Turn your back.”

“Violet, it’s dark as pitch! I can’t see a whit.”

“I’m not dressing with you sitting right next to me.”

“Oh, for the love of…” he grumbled as he stumbled to the window muttering under his breath, “Concubine my ass.”

She bit her lip and saw, with a helpful flash of lightning that he was indeed standing by the window with his back to her. She quickly unwrapped herself from the blanket, but like an idiot she lost the shirt in its folds and had to spend several crucial seconds feeling around for it.

“Shoot!” she said, when she still couldn’t get the shirt on properly. In her rush to get dressed she put it on upside down.

“What’s wrong?” he said, turning toward her. “Aren’t you done yet?”

A rather fortuitous series of lightning flashes happened just then giving him a vision of heaven on earth as Violet fumbled with the shirt, removing it, turning it right side up and putting it back on. He simply couldn’t tear his eyes away from her.

He gulped and felt his entire body react. And he was supposed to keep his hands to himself while sleeping in the same bed with that Godess???

“God help me,” he whispered.

God, unfortunately-- or fortunately, the jury’s still out on which—was likely too busy at the moment to do anything more than laugh at the two of them.

Violet finished buttoning up and hopped into bed, pulling the covers up to her chin and sighing in relief.

“Okay, you can look now, even if you can’t see anything,” she said, with a nervous giggle.

“Yep, not a thing,” he muttered, staying where he was, afraid to move.

“Um…Victor?”

“Yes?”

“Are you going to stare out the window all night?”

“Was thinking about it. Do you have any better idea?”

“Sleep? Can't get in too much trouble sleeping.”

Oh, yeah, like he was going to sleep peacefully now! "Says you," he muttered to himself.

"Huh?" she said.

“Okay,” he said, taking the only stiff armchair in the room and turning it toward the window. Can you toss me a pillow? I’ll sleep here.”

“On the chair?” she shrieked. “Victor, you can’t. You won’t be able to move in the morning.”

“Fine with me,” he mumbled.

Violet bit her lip and chose to ignore the inner voice screaming, “NO, don’t let him near you! “ 

“Now who’s being the juvenile?” she said, more bravely than she felt.  “Come here and sleep in the bed. It’s big enough for the both of us. You can trust me not to jump you. I promise.”

That wasn’t exactly what he was hoping for, but he went to the bed and stretched out next to her, taking great care not to touch even her little finger.

This was going to be a very long night.





No comments:

Post a Comment