Monday, April 16, 2012

Ch110 Very Patient Indeed by Glory Lennon



“I’m hungry,” Violet said.

“I’m sorry, what?” Victor asked, totally thrown. He had just confessed that he had been in love with her for over a decade and this was her reaction?

"With Violet one has to be very patient, Dear," Heidi whispered in his ear. 


"Indeed," he muttered.

“Didn’t have much breakfast, so…um…I’m hungry,” she repeated. It was a complete lie, of course, but what else was she to do? She did not want to have this conversation. Why in the world would she want to know anything about one of his former lovers?

Victor merely stared at her for a minute watching her quite literally squirm. She obviously was not willing to have this discussion-- here and now, anyway--but perhaps in a quiet restaurant over a leisurely meal…

 “I made a reservation at a Brazilian Steak house. It’s just a couple of blocks away, but if you’d rather walk I’ll get us a cab. It is rather warm today.”

“Oh, we can walk, I think,” she said, looking anywhere but at him. 

Unfortunately, she didn’t much like what she saw. The streets were dirty and strewn with litter. The fumes from the passing trucks and buses were enough to choke a dinosaur. Of course, the perfume wafting from the sidewalks, dark allies and sweaty people was no better. The noise was deafening. There were more people bustling around and jostling her about than she probably ever saw in her whole life and that included all the people who go to the annual firefighter’s carnival, Catalpa Valley high school’s  homecoming game and the charity gala at Weston Botanical combined. And worse of all, there was not a shrub, a tree or a measly little flower anywhere to be seen! What, she wondered, did people like about cities?

“You don’t like the city, do you, Violet?” Victor said, interpreting the expression on her face accurately.

“What? No…yes… I mean…”

He laughed. “No, it’s nothing like our pretty little town. Catalpa Valley is great, but let’s you and me keep that a secret or everyone will want to go there and take it over. Here we are.”

Victor lead her a few steps down under an awning and into the restaurant. It was dark inside and blessedly cool. When they were greeted by a thin young man, Victor spoke to him in another language, one Violet couldn’t make out. The young man had asked a question and Victor looked to Violet before answering and then they were lead toward the back.

“What did you say?” Violet asked.

“That we would like to eat outside,” Victor replied. He smiled at the weird look on her face. “It won’t be facing the street. I think you’ll like it.”

The young man opened the double doors and Violet gasped. She was suddenly surrounded by green, lovely, heavenly green!

“Oh, a garden!” she said excitedly. It was an entirely enclosed patio and if you had just dropping into it from above, you might never suspect you were right smack-dab in the center of New York City. Violet loved it.

“See? It’s not all horrible concrete,” Victor said.

They ordered and then were left alone to sip their wine.

“Did you know this garden was here?” Violet asked.

“I did. I knew my Violet would wilt if I kept her out of the garden for too long.”

She laughed. “Thank you, Victor. You must find me tediously rigid and unbending.”

He took her hand and flexed her fingers then wiggled her wrist from side to side. “No, you seem bendy enough for me.”

She giggled. “Silly man,” she said. “What language were you speaking?”

“That was English, Honey, American English if you wish to be precise,” he replied, smirking.

“Wise guy!” she said. “I meant with the host.”

“Oh, that! Português, meu amor,” he said.

“Portuguese? Oh, that sounds so nice…like half Italian and half Spanish,” she said.

“Sort of, yes,” he agreed.

“So, how do you say, here’s the birthday boy, can you sing to him?”

He laughed. “Aqui está o aniversário do menino, você pode cantar para ele?”

Her face fell. “Lordy, I can’t say all that.”

He laughed again and took her hand, kissing it. “You can sing for me instead.”

“Not the same as having a whole group doing it.”

“No, it’s better. Come on, sing to me. I love your voice. It’ll be your gift to me,” he said sitting back. “Stand up and belt it out.”

“Are you loony?” Violet said. “I’ll disturb the other diners.”

“Violet, have you looked around?”

She did just then and found several empty tables, with not another soul around. “Oh, well, in that case…” She stood up and said, “I won’t sing a typical birthday song, though, if you don’t mind. I like this one, but if you don’t, I can always sing you another one.”

“Great!” he said. “I’ll say I hate each song you do and then you’ll have to sing me another and another and another.”

She laughed. “You goof!”

“Go on! Entertain me.”

She giggled nervously for a bit then straightened her face and sang. 


When she was done, Victor stood up applauding loudly and he wasn’t the only one. Unknown to Violet, the entire waiting staff and some of the kitchen help came out to watch and they too were whooping and clapping at the finish of her performance.

“Maravilhoso! O que uma canção linda! Que bela cantora!” they said in turn.

Violet laughed and bowed slightly and even curtsied. “It’s his birthday, you know!” she told them.

“O, senhor, feliz aniversário!” they all said.

“Obrigado,” Victor said to them and they left to their work.

Once they were alone again, Victor hugged Violet. “Não mais da metade e isso é o melhor aniversário que já tive,” he said.

“Huh?” she said.

Eu adoro você, Violeta,” he said. “E se você não casar comigo logo eu acho que eu poderia morrer.”

“Victor, you know I don’t understand. What are you saying to me?” she said.

Instead of answering, he took her face in his hands and kissed her.

That she understood. “Guess you liked the song then?” she asked breathlessly.

He nodded. “Violet…”

He stopped then because their food inconveniently had just been brought to them and they were obliged to sit down and eat.

Você me entende. Eu sei que sim. Você é apenas não estão dispostos a admitir isso,” Victor said, almost to himself. “E você não vai até você estar pronto. Eu só tenho que aprender a ser paciente.”

“Victor, I wish you wouldn’t do that anymore. I don’t know what you’re saying. It’s like coming in the middle of a foreign film where you don’t know what’s going on.”

He laughed. “I suppose it is.”

“Can’t follow the plot at all,” she said, sipping her wine.

“Can’t you?” he said, pointedly.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s the usual plot, isn’t it?” he said. “Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl and girl spurns him until she, with any luck, comes to her senses and realizes he would cherish her for the rest of her life and they could live happily ever after, together, forever, if she would only allowed it.”

Violet looked down at her plate with her heart beating uncomfortably fast in her chest. This wasn’t at all where she thought this would go. She searched her feeble brain for something, anything and she said the first thing that unwisely popped into it.

“So…um…Denise seemed nice,” she said, nervously. “How long did you know her? By the way she was talking you mustn’t have seen each other in a long time. Tell me about her. How did you meet?”

Victor stared. Would Violet ever cease to astonish him?

Muito paciente realmente,” he muttered.

Translations:
*Portuguese, my love.
Wonderful! What a lovely song! What a beautiful singer!
Happy birthday sir!
Thank you
It’s not half over and this is the best birthday I’ve ever had.
I adore you, Violet, and if you don't marry me soon I think I might die.
You understand me. I know you do. You're just not willing to admit it. And you won't, not until you're ready. I just have to learn to be patient.
Very patient indeed.

3 comments:

  1. I love your idea here of posting parts of your chapters...how nice to read back all the way. Is this just for the A to Z? Love the premise of your novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Donna. No, this blog is not in the A-z challenge. I just linked to it. This is actually the whole novel so far written. I started Violet's in Bloom over a decade ago, but only put it in blog form for the past year or so. Every Monday is a new chapter.See you around the internet!

      Delete
  2. Victor is clearly persistent. Grief really has a grip on her and so does fear

    ReplyDelete