Monday, September 26, 2011

Chapter 81: Peaceful, easy feeling


“I’ve never seen so many stars in my life,” Victor said.

“Me too,” Violet said. “It’s particularly dark tonight, isn’t it? I guess they just pop out extra when it’s so dark. It’s amazing.”

“Know what this reminds me of?” Victor said, still gazing up at the sky.

“Um…camping out at the Grand Canyon? It must have been like this there…better even!”

“It was nice, yes, and I guess what I’m thinking is better suited for out west but, do you remember that old Eagles song about sleeping in the desert?”


She laughed. “Of course! ♪ … I like the way sparkling earrings lay against your skin so brown. I wanna sleep with you in the desert tonight with a million stars…

“Billion,” he interjected.

“Huh?”

“Billion stars.”

She turned her head to look at him. “You sure?”

“Positive. Ronny sang it at the Grand Canyon and he always gets the words right. He’s a bit anal about it,” he said chuckling.

 “Okay then,” she said, turning back to the stars and resuming singing. 
“♪ ……With a billion stars all around, cuz I gotta peaceful, easy feeling and I know you won’t let me down, cuz I’m already standing on the ground... I like that song.”

“Hey! Don’t stop singing,” Victor said. “Keep going. Let me know when you want to leave. Up to me we could stay here all night and wake up with a rabbit nibbling on my toes.” 

Violet laughed then sang the song from the beginning to the very end. Little did she know, he wasn’t kidding.

A peaceful, easy feeling….Victor thought that just about said it perfectly.
That’s exactly what it felt like laying in the middle of this meadow with Violet beside him singing softly and only a gentle breeze and a few noisy, amorous frogs to accompany them. He knew he’d never felt this good before and he might never again if he didn’t do something about it. He closed his eyes and made his silent wish. 

“Please, please, give me Violet, just Violet. I only want Violet. Let me have Violet.....”

Violet finished the song and glanced over at Victor. He had his eyes closed and his breathing was even and steady, although shallow. “Victor...are you...sleeping?” she whispered, incredulous.

“Looks like,” Richard said, chuckling. “Must be tired or he likes being sung to sleep.”

“Victor,” Violet said, placing a warm hand on his arm. 

“Let him sleep a bit, dear,” Heidi said. “This fresh mountain air is so good for him.”

Good for everyone, Violet thought. She breathed deeply and closed her own eyes. A little nap sounded good and within a few minutes, she too was asleep. Moments later she shivered, snuggled up to the warm body next to her and slept on.

Violet didn’t know how long it had been, but she awoke to a gentle snoring in her ear and a heavy arm around her waist holding her prisoner. Disoriented, she looked around and gasped when she found Victor’s face barely an inch away from her own.

“Victor, wake up,” she said, earnestly. He slept on and tightened his grip, mumbling something she couldn’t make out.

“Victor, please, wake up,” she whispered, as the thought of a vicious wild beast--perhaps a very hungry bear fresh out of hibernation—came to mind. She shook him trying to awaken him and she shook with fear.

“Hmm…wish… come true…” he muttered, nuzzling her neck and kissing it.

“Victor, wake up!” she shouted.

“What? What?” he said, gripping her tighter until she could barely breathe.

“Stop this, Victor!” she said, desperately pushing him away.

“Huh?” he said stupidly. He blinked and stared blankly. “Violet, what...?”

“You fell asleep.”

“I did?”

“Obviously!” she snapped. “Now will you let go of me?”

“Oh, sorry,” he said, reluctantly releasing her and sitting up. He glanced at his watch. “Wow, nice nap. Why did you let me sleep so long?”

“Uh...What time is it?” she said smoothing down her dress.

“You don’t want to know,” he said standing up and taking her hand, pulling her up, too. He grabbed the blanket and folded it. He then handed it to her and grabbed the picnic basket and the bunch of flowers.

“You better hold on to me or you might fall into a rabbit hole and end up in Wonderland. I’ll never find you in the dark.”

“Wonderland? Victor, are you sure you’re awake enough to drive?” she asked apprehensively.

He chuckled and put his hand around her waist. “I’m awake now, but the ground isn’t even and you could easily twist an ankle in a real rabbit hole.”

It seemed to take forever to get back to the truck. It was slow going and there were several holes, just as Victor had said. Violet knew she would have fallen flat on her face if it hadn't been for Victor's grip on her.

At last they arrived at the truck and Victor opened the back door, tossed in the blanket and basket and handed the flowers to Violet. He then lifted her right off her feet and safely into the front seat.

“You make me feel like a weak, little female when you do that,” she grumbled.

 “Sweetie, I got news for you. You are a little female, but hardly weak.”

“Victor, what did you wish for?”

“Excuse me?” he said reaching around her and buckling her seat belt.

“When you woke up, you said your wish came true,” she said.

“Did I?” he said evasively.

“Yes, you did. What was your wish?” she said.

“Nuh-uh,” he said playfully poking her on the nose. “You know the rules. Won’t come true if I tell, so I ain’t saying.”

“But you said it came true,” she persisted.

He shrugged. “Must have been dreaming.” He then closed the door and went around to his side. 

He smiled as he got in and buckled up. His wish hadn’t actually come true, but he did get a glimpse of what it might be like when it did...if it ever did.

“It will,” Richard and Heidi said together. 

They gaped at each other and smiled. They were finally on the same side.

No comments:

Post a Comment